A new American restaurant in Annapolis, Maryland.
Hours: M-F 11:00 am - 2:00 am, Weekends: 9:00 am - 2:00 am
18% Gratuity added to parties of 6 or more
Notice: The consumption of raw or undercooked eggs, meat, poultry, seafood or shellﬁsh my increase your risk of food borne illness
Proprietor: Bruce Gardner | Executive Chef: Keith Long | GM: PJ Mailloux
The present building located at 26 Market Space, Annapolis, Maryland, is the last remaining part of the original three story Wallace, Davidson and Johnson Building, which was known as Factors Row. Constructed in 1771, it extended from Main Street to Cornhill Street at the head of the city dock. It was used as a warehouse by representatives of British merchants, called "factors" who made arrangements to ship Colonial planters' produce to England and Scotland in exchange for British goods.
In 1883 a fire destroyed all but the Cornhill Street end of Factors Row. The section at 26 Market Space was re-constructed between the remaining original side walls using brick salved from the fire. Two of the original 171 hand hewn beams are still visible inside the building between the first and second floors.
During it's long history, the building has served various commercial purposes, including a hotel, grocery store, tailor shop/men's store and restaurant with family living quarters and apartments in the upper floors. In 1909 the great-great uncle of the present owner purchased the property and it has remained in the family since that time.
Joseph Hoatio Anderson from Philadelphia, was the architect for the original 1771 Wallace, Davidson and Johnson Building. Anderson was also the architect for several other Annapolis buildings including:
The same masonry craftsmen who built the original 1771 Wallace, Davidson and Johnson Building also worked on all of the above buildings as well as many of the private residences that are still standing and in use in Annapolis including:
Charles Wallace also developed Cornhill Street in 1769 and Pinkney Street in the 1770s to give Annapolis merchants and residents to the dock area from the blocks that were created in the original city plan.